So I’m sitting in a low key, hipsterish cafe near my house as I write this. The coffee is not bad at all. A few months back my sister gave me a recipe book for my birthday because she knows I like to cook. Today you will learn how to make the feared, the totally badass: Slamburger!
Things you will need:
2 Poblano Chiles
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 large onion
Salt, Pepper, Basil, Oregano
1 Cup Monterey Cheese
3 tbs Mayo
1 tbs Dijon
1 tbs Ketchup
1 tbs Worcestershire
1 lb ground sirloin
1 lb ground chuck or beef (I used beef)
1 Tomato or lettuce
2 Large brioche rolls or hamburger buns
What I did:
1. Cooked Poblano Chiles on an oiled skillet for 10-11 minutes, turning until charred all over. When they look roasted, move them to a bowl and cover with plastic. Let them cool. Then peel the chiles, remove seeds and thinly slice them.
2. Peel onions (I used habaneros as well but you don’t have to), and throw them in the skillet. Cook on medium-low without stirring, until browned, for about 5 minutes.
Now add the chiles and cook for another 5 minutes stirring until charred and tender.
Cook for another 5 minutes on high.
3. Take the cooked onions and chiles and put in a bowl. Add a little bit of pepper (people use way too much pepper nowadays!) Stir in the cheese.
4. Now comes my favorite part. Creating my top secret sauce! Get another bowl, and combine the mayo with the mustard, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk until fully blended. Use secret sauce wisely.
5. Here comes the meat of this recipe (no pun intended). Combine the sirloin and ground beef and form into 4 eight inch patties. Make sure you are gentle while molding the meats into something that resembles a burger.
Put passion into it.
Make a slight indentation in the center of each patty so that the burgers don’t puff up when they cook. Brush with oil and add seasoning.
6. Fry the burgers for about 3 minutes on each side. medium heat.
Flip the burgers and stack the chile-onion-cheese concoction on top. Cook for another 10 minutes on medium-low.
7. Heat buns on the skillet.
8. Place burgers on buns. Pour special sauce.
9. Cut tomatoes and lettuce, add to burger.
10. Close burger. Serve.